On US tariffs, EU's common position must be seen first - Latvian president

  • 2025-04-02
  • LETA/TBT Staff

RIGA - As regards the changes that will be brought about by the Unites States' new customs tariffs, it is first necessary to see the European Union's common position, President Edgars Rinkevics told reporters following a meeting with Prim Minister Evika Silina (New Unity) on Wednesday.

U.S. President Donald Trump has declared April 2 'Liberation Day' on which he plans to announce new tariffs aimed at preventing trade practices that his government considers unfair.

"Today, questions about possible U.S. tariffs, which are planned not only against Europe but also against other countries, could become clearer. We discussed with the prime minister the tariffs' possible impact on the Latvian economy," said the president said.

According to Rinkevics, there are certain services that Latvia purchases from the U.S. and services it exports to the U.S. Rinkevics stressed that Latvia is part of the EU. The president emphasized that the country's foreign economic policy is now as important as its foreign security policy.

The prime minister noted that her meeting with the president also dealt with EU affairs. The prime minister added that reports on the tariffs are expected tonight. In Silina's words, it is necessary to see the whole picture.

She added that the EU's readiness to respond had been discussed in Europe, but that it would be a balanced response, recognizing that these issues were of great concern to Latvian businesses. She said that Latvia will coordinate with the European Commission (EC), which will also prepare the response. It is also necessary to see how the U.S. tariffs could affect the Latvian market, but, according to the prime minister, it is necessary to wait for announcements from the White House.

During the meeting, the prime minister informed the president about the discussions at the meeting of the Demographic Affairs Council. Rinkevics emphasized that this was also very much in line with the points discussed previously at the Riga Castle with demographic experts and politicians.

"The direction and objectives are correct. We talked about an approach that includes both the improvement of health care services and issues related to access to housing," the president said.

He noted that a discussion on the funding needed to increase certain benefits was also inevitable. Rinkevics informed that this discussion would take place in May, both in the government and in the Demographic Affairs Council. The president assured that he would follow up on these issues, which are also regularly discussed with the relevant ministers and the prime minister.

As reported, European Commission (EC) President Ursula von der Leyen said on Tuesday that the EU still hopes to find a diplomatic solution to the upcoming U.S. tariffs, but that the bloc is ready to take countermeasures if necessary.

In the European Parliament, the EC president said that Europe is open to negotiation, but that the EU has a strong countermeasure plan in place should the need arise. Von der Leyen stressed that the planned US announcement would be carefully assessed in order to coordinate a response. She also added that she is consulting EU leaders on the next steps.